Re: [Axiom-developer] (Possible) reasons Axiom didn't appeal to SoC code

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] (Possible) reasons Axiom didn't appeal to SoC coders...
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:24:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I believe it is not true that there are too few interested people
> > in CAS.
>
> I never said that. I think that C.Y. might have argued that in
> another email. I also do not agree with that.

What I suggested was a possible cause of the SoC result - that there
are very few students interested in CAS work. I also mentioned that I
was only listing possible causes without having data to back them up.
I am not arguing that IS the case, only suggesting it as a possible
casue of lack of SoC interest (if it WERE true, it would explain it - I
do not know if it is true.)  From our standpoint, lack of CAS interest
vs. lack of Axiom/Lisp interest would look pretty much the same in
terms of project results.

> What I said was that
> there are first of all only a few students currently interested in
> Lisp and of those there seem to be only a few who are interested
> in Axiom.

Right.

> In fact the only proposals that LispNYC did receive that
> could be considered related to Axiom did not even seem to realize
> that what they were proposing was already a basic part of Axiom!
> I replied to these applicants and at least one of them has since
> joined the Axiom developer email list.

Well, that's good news.

Cheers,
CY