Re: [Axiom-developer] Sockets, threads and GUI<->Kernel communication

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Sockets, threads and GUI<->Kernel communication
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:45:22 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, they are not outstandingly complex, but they do add complexity.
> When you try to port Axiom to say, ECL, SBCL, CLISP, etc. that added
> complexity becomes non-negligeable.  Since, I've been doing that, I
> think I let my exasperation out.

Ah :-).  No problem - I FULLY understand that issue ;-).  API
differences without compelling motivation seem to be a hobby of free
lisp implementations...  One question - where is most of the code for
Axiom's use of sockets, in the lisp image or sman?  That task sounds
like one where the usocket library would be (or at least should be)
very helpful, although I suppose the C code makes assumptions that make
life difficult...

Axiom is not good at using existing libraries for this sort of thing,
probably because a) most don't seem to work on GCL and b) it was
written before most of them were available.  I think if we can make use
of those libraries (distribute them with Axiom if need be) we should be
able to make a lot of this sort of thing a LOT better, much more
easily.  (And I still think such an improved situation would mean more
interest from other Lisp projects...)

A long time back we had the discussion somewhere (as a project) about
the merits of selecting one lisp implementation as opposed to
supporting many.  I'm beginning to see the other side of that argument
more and more, although I think sbcl would be a better choice if 1 lisp
had to be chosen...  My hope is that once we ARE working on ANSI lisps
and perhaps using some of the "make life easier" libraries like CFFI
and usocket matters will remain much simpler going forward.  One can
hope anyway...

Cheers, and thanks for all the hard work you've been doing!

CY

Bored stiff? Loosen up...
http://games.yahoo.com/games/front