[Axiom-developer] Re: FW: summer of code

From: Ondrej Certik
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: FW: summer of code
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:36:43 +0200

Hi, yes, I am subsribed to both axiom lists, but I was just busy. I
missed a discussion about the GSoC. I think all of us has already
expressed our opinions.

Thanks for the wishes, I also wish the Axiom project to become more
widespread and to succeed.

I think CAS is popular among students (as SAGE or SymPy shows) and
also I think that a full potential of the computer algebra systems was
not fully explited at all so far. However, it needs to be usable from
a widespread, standard, preferably highlevel language. Lisp, SPAD, or
Aldor are probably not going to be mainstream soon (and in my opinion
that is the crucial factor of attracting more people to any software),
but we had this discussion already, I know that some of you disagree,
but that's what I think about it.

I am also interested in collaboration. For example I am curious, how
the Gruntz algorithm is going to look like in Aldor. However, Aldor is
still not opensource and as I read some posts, maybe it is still not
clear if it ever will (by open source, I mean DFSG free
http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines). And if you choose
the way of improving SPAD by yourself, with Axiom the only program
that uses it (correct me if I am wrong), then in my opinion it's the
same technological mistake as Maple or Mathematica did. I understand
the points of trying to make a better language, however, I myself am
not going to do it, as I don't believe it can ever really succeed. As
I talked with some of the students applying to SymPy, they have pretty
similar opinions to mine. So the time will tell, who invested his time
better. I just want to make the point, that although we all want to
contribute in the CAS field, I came to the conclusion that I can help
the field more by contributing to SymPy rather than to Axiom.

Regards,
Ondrej