Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: FW: summer of code

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: FW: summer of code
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:02:55 -0400

Ondrej Certik wrote:

> seems to me that at that time, the methodology of programming was
> quite different (for example the computer memory was a limiting factor
> and the overhead of a language like python would be completely
> devastating, none of which is a problem today for most of the
> problems).

I think you will find in the case of Axiom that efficiency concerns are
still very important - I refer you to the earlier discussion on notangle
in lisp as an example.  (note to self - iron out the last bugs in that...)

For simple computer algebra problems computers may have made the
question of resources less critical, but mathematical software in
particular has a tendency to always push the bounds of what is possible.
 Of course the trade-off must be made between maintainability and
efficiency, but I think Axiom as a project is most likely going to
devote a lot of attention to being (or remaining) fast.

Cheers,
CY