[Axiom-developer] syntax-highlighting algorithms?

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] syntax-highlighting algorithms?
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 12:42:11 -0700 (PDT)

Does anyone know of a good overview of techniques used for keyword
identification and other structural information identification when
doing syntax highlighting?

I know many editors do it but I am not aware of any good description of
the algorithms used.  Recognizing %def operations inside chunks has
some similarities, but I'm hoping there are very fast ways this can be
done.

It finally hit me that escape character identification can and should
be done during the initial chunk scan, where every char needs to be
examined anyway, and stored as part of the chunk structure information.
 Definitions are somewhat more involved, both in recognizing when they
are initially defined and when they are called, and I'm curious as to
what the best techniques are.

Thanks,
CY

The fish are biting.