Re: [Axiom-developer] Compiler speed

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Compiler speed
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 13:54:45 +0200 (CEST)

Martin Rubey wrote:
> Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Using sbcl profiler on Martin's guessing package I identified
> > some time sinks:
> > 1) extendLocalLibdb function (which is called at the end of each
> >    compilation).  This function looks generally bogus -- it tries
> >    to update libdb.text but is producing garbage (correct libdb.text
> >    is built later, when databases are rebuild).
>
> I guess you know, but to build libdb.text it is sufficient to say
>
> )lib MYPACKAGE
>
> I don't know at what point which databases are rebuild, but the functionality
> of having libdb.text up to date after loading a library is quite important to
> me.
>
> Of course, I'm not saying that extendLocalLibdb does anything useful.  I only
> noticed that libdb.text is rebuild dynamically, and that's a great feature.

extendLocalLibdb is called by )lib command.  However I wonder if it
extendLocalLibdb is really working for you: IIRC correctly you had
problem with addPatchesToLongLines and to correct extendLocalLibdb
we first have to correct addPatchesToLongLines (probably remove, but
I have to check consequences).  Moreover, extendLocalLibdb tries to
remove old information but my impression is that this works only
partially (I expect that after multiple recompilations you may
accumulate out of date information).

One more thing: extendLocalLibdb is called at the end of compilation,
so libdb.text should be rebuild even if you do not issue )lib command.

I have just commited speedup patch: it disables libdb.text updates
during build (as I wrote this is useless because we generate up to
date libdb.text later), but the installed compiler should work as
before.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden