Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiom-mode

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiom-mode
Date: 22 May 2007 18:45:53 +0200

C Y <address@hidden> writes:

> > Variable asdasd
> > (7) ->
> >   ^
> > i.e., at the closing parenthesis, instead after the -> sign, also if
> > the input number has two digits.
>
> Darn it, I thought I had that working.  Just so I know, what platform
> and version of emacs are you using?

I have Kubuntu Dapper (i.e., a debian variant), emacs 21.4.1, axiom wh-sandbox
(very recent)

> Are there any Emacs gurus on the list who would be interested enough to take
> over the project?

Cliff, I think it would be best if you start hacking!  Most likely, emacs
people will be able to help, but there are simply too few axiom people around!

> > Maybe it would be possible to have a simple "magic-key-combination"
> > that allows editing of output?  Or, maybe even better: that turns
> > the cursor into a brush and marks the character under point blue if
> > I hit space?  (That would be really useful for me!)
>
> It's a good idea, but I'm not quite sure what Emacs lets you get away
> with for things like that.  Certain it can be looked into.

> >  To actually edit output, copying it into a separate buffer may be the
> > wiser choice anyway.
>
> That was my feeling, but selective color changing/highlighting doesn't change
> the output and still lets you direct the eye - I like it.

Just another idea: M-up could get you into output "mode", and in that "mode",
some ordinary keys have a different meaning: b for blue foreground, B for blue
background, g for green, r for red, space for black, etc.  That would really be
a killer app!  None of the current interfaces for maple, mathematica, mupad,
etc. is able to do that!  I beg you to look at it!

> It was sort of a "notebook in textmode" as far as concept went.

I think you shouldn't go further with the notebook idea.  It's cute that
invalid input turns red (unfortunately undo (M-_) doesn't turn it black
anymore), but I'd really leave it at that.

> > * I'd really like to have an easy way to send definitions etc. from one
> > buffer (containing a .input file) to an axiom process.  [...]
> >
> >   1) I think it's difficult to detect where a function definition starts
> > and where it ends.  The MuPAD people told me that the would simple mark the
> > definition boundaries themselves with some special characters.  [...]

> > Another shortcut that sends only the current line, and possible a third
> > shortcut that sends the current region would also be good.
>
> The line and region I like, but as you note trying to automatically identify
> the function is tough.

Forget about automatically determining boundaries.  And for the moment, region
and line would be just wonderful.

> > [...]  maybe you would need to save the input which should be sent to axiom
> > into a temporary file and )read it.
>
> I think that came up last time, and the only workable solution was something
> like that.  (Yuck.)

Well, just get over it :-) Don't try to make it perfect! Yes it should work,
but for the moment, it's more important to make life with axiom more comfy.

> I'm not really that crazy about Emacs based on my experiences to date
> with it,

but I am!  Only, I think my abilities would be rather badly employed by trying
to mess with emacs modes.

Again, many thanks,

Martin