Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom API

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom API
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 22:47:58 +0200 (CEST)

Bill Page wrote:
> Quoting Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden>:
> > But honestly, tm_axiom.c maybe better live with the TeXmacs
> > people, although we then probably lose a pamphlet style of it...
> > and I would really like to see that file documented.
>
> I disagree. I think we should do what Andrey Grozin first
> suggested and actually implemented for Maxima - that is
> to eliminate the interface program altogether. The protocol
> required by TeXmacs is actually pretty simple (unfortunately
> it not as well suited as say something based on XML) but
> still easy to produce and parse in spite of the odd control
> characters choosen as delimiters. In the case of Maxima
> what was done was to provide a small set of customizable
> delimiters that are added to the usual text-based user
> interface. This is enough to allow Maxima to interact
> directly with TeXmacs when started with the right options.

I do not know what TeXmacs expect, but I know what Axiom was
designed to do:  external program are supposed to connect to
a socket and send command trough it.  Terminal is really meant
only for direct user interface (possibly also for debugging).

I belive that if TeXmacs does not want to use HyperDoc
protocol (which gives _full_ access to Axiom capabilities)
we can add extra protocol.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden