Re: [Axiom-developer] bachslash-newline in Makefiles

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] bachslash-newline in Makefiles
Date: 27 May 2007 18:44:54 -0500

address@hidden writes:

[...]

| Those changes that I understood I picked up and merged into
| the new "silver" branch.

One aspect of a VCS such as SVN or GIT is that when someone
picks a change, it will pick it from a version number that controls
the whole branch.  In a community effort, it helps people identify
which changes have been picked; in particular, change logs also help
speed up the archeology exercise.

In the particular instance of new silver, the said branch has
been carefully engineered to make both revision numbers (to help track
down the actual changes) and the ChangeLogs have been side-stepped, to
make the whole exercise more interesting.  In the interest of
community effort.

[...]

| I am currently working a few different branches in parallel (very
| easy with git)

branching is easy with SVN too, but I suspect that was not the point.

| and as these are tested and complete I will post them
| as full changesets. People using git should be able to do a git-pull.
| SVN users should be able to apply the change as a single changeset.

Great!