[Axiom-developer] CCL maintenance

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] CCL maintenance
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:10:47 -0500

Stephen,

> Are any of the current maintainers working with CCL at all? Is
> maintaining compatibility with this Lisp of importance to anyone?

When Axiom was first released Arthur Norman released a version of CCL.
I tried to build Axiom on it but failed, mostly due to my lack of
understanding of how CCL-based Axioms were built.

When Axiom was released to NAG it was on Bill Schelter's AKCL (now GCL).
I worked with Bill on AKCL so I was intimately familiar with the details.
Thus, after a few months of effort I gave up on the CCL path and restored
the build on GCL.

While CCL gave portability it isn't a full common lisp. Indeed GCL is
no longer a "full" common lisp. The direction is clearly ANSI in the
long term. So I'd have to conclude that CCL is unlikely to be of
importance in the future of Axiom.