RE: [Axiom-developer] CCL maintenance

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] CCL maintenance
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 17:12:05 -0400

On May 30, 2007 1:11 PM Tim Daly wrote:
> While CCL gave portability it isn't a full common lisp. Indeed
> GCL is no longer a "full" common lisp. The direction is clearly
> ANSI in the long term. So I'd have to conclude that CCL is
> unlikely to be of importance in the future of Axiom.

As Gaby has pointed out, one could take an entirely different
point of view. There is no reason to so strongly associated
Axiom with Lisp. In fact Axiom only uses a small part of the
Lisp runtime environment. So it might be possible to take CCL
as the basis for an Axiom-specific runtime optimized especially
to efficiently support Axiom. From this point of view ANSI
compatibility is completely irrelevant.