Re: [Axiom-developer] NAG libraries

From: Mike Dewar
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] NAG libraries
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 13:59:29 +0100

Hi Martin,

I think you have the code but - as somebody already pointed out - I
wouldn't advise resurrecting it.  Back when it was written we were
thinking along the lines of what are now called service oriented
architectures or web services.  With modern machines the extra overhead
of generating code, compiling it, and sending data down a socket just
isn't worth it.  A lot of Axiom's design decisions were made 15 or 25
years ago and don't make sense in the modern world.  I think that this
one falls into that category.

I would advise going down the dynamic linking route.  We did it for some
NAG routines in the old Windows version of Axiom and more recently we've
done it for Maple and MATLAB.  The performance is much better and from a
user's view its much more flexible and natural.

Kind regards,
        Mike.