[Axiom-developer] trunk

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] trunk
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 12:10:55 -0500

> "trunk" is basically identical with Gold (tla: axiom--main--1--patch-50)
> and currently not maintained although build-improvements and wh-sandbox
> branched from it.

> Actually, I don't know exactly, why Tim now puts everything into
> "branches/daly" instead of "trunk".

I put the files into branches/daly so that I could make the development
that I'd been doing "public". There is still more work to be done in
terms of bug fixing and cleanup before it becomes ready to be a
complete candidate for a new release. "branches/daly" was the first
version that passed all of my local testing but there is still work
to be done.

I tried to do the merge the other SVN branches with gold and failed.
I then tried to pick up all the changes that I understood and
merged those changes. This must be done by hand because the branch
changesets also involve changes to the Makefiles and the branch
Makefile structures don't exist in Gold.

> ... Gaby, Tim, Waldek, what do you think
> the best strategy would be to ease merging later?

It seemed to me that putting the files into "trunk" would have
undercut the ability of Gaby and Waldek to do a merge, thus leaving
them no path to get back to Gold. The hope is that they will spend
some time to "lift" complete changesets from their branches against
Gold so they can be applied outside their branches.

Each branch is basically a publicly-available private sandbox.
Private sandboxes are the best way to explore an idea (I have
dozens) but it is really up to the individual to make those
experiments fit into the released version.