[Axiom-developer] trunk

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] trunk
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 12:53:53 -0500

> I'm planning to attempt the following -- assuming I got time today:

>  * merge branches/daly to trunk

As I understand it trunk is Gold (aka --patch-50).
branches/daly was started from --patch-50 (see CHANGELOG) by adding changes.
Thus it should be sufficient to copy branches/daly.

But I wouldn't recommend doing that yet. There are more changes in
the pipeline for branches/daly which are not fully merged and tested
(e.g. bug 312 change, file-downcasing, fixes for .input files, Martin's
guess algebra, etc). But you can do it if you like. I'd be just as
happy to patch trunk as to patch branches/daly.

I think that it would be more fruitful if you spent time creating
diff-Naur changesets between trunk and build-improvements or
branches/daly and build-improvements. Each changeset should lift
up a single feature that I failed to merge. That way we can simply
apply the changeset and get the new feature.

>  * create a branch gold that contains the mature Gold version

Frankly, I'm not even sure what this would mean. But I am sure that
creating a "branch" named "Gold" in SVN is certain to cause confusion
and havoc. Gold lives in Arch, currently --patch-50.

> The idea is that trunk should be the development silver (and hopefully
> Tim will commit here) from which people will branch from.

When there is some consensus that branches/daly contains the set of
outstanding bug fixes and algebra changes it could be considered a
"silver" branch. Normally I wouldn't have released it into public
view at the current stage but we've had that discussion before. Thus
I've put it on the public stage after it "works" but before it is
really ready.

We could move it to trunk if you want. It won't cause me any pain but
I suspect it will cause the branches pain. I'm not sure how SVN handles
merging of multi-branching trees. I can't figure out the model.

I'm happy to commit to trunk rather than branches/daly.

> And build-improvements, wh-sandbox will merge to that trunk later.

NOW is the time to do the merges. Now when we are marching toward a
new silver to replace Gold. Now when we have an effort to get a new
stable release out the door. Now is the time to make sure that the
things you want pushed out onto Arch, sourceforge, and savannah as
Gold are included.

Find features you want. Make exclusive diff-Naur changesets. Make
documentation. Make test cases. Make it work. Make it fit.