Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom version numbering

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom version numbering
Date: 25 Jun 2007 09:06:05 +0200

Dear Tim,

address@hidden writes:

> The Axiom version is printed as part of the banner when you start:
>
>                  AXIOM Computer Algebra System
>                    Version: Axiom (May 2007)
>           Timestamp: Friday May 18, 2007 at 00:44:15
>

> This gives information about what version of source was used to build the
> system (May 2007). It gives information about what day and time the system
> was built (nearly 1AM on May 18th).  And the first line of CHANGELOG gives an
> exact version in yyyymmdd format. CHANGELOG is a stack. Thus:
>
> 20070617 tpd src/interp/inpter-proclaims remove unused arg from $FCOPY

Only, the CHANGELOG is not installed.  Since I often say svn up, to see what
happened recently, but sometimes decide not to build a new axiom, I do not know
anymore what exact version of axiom I am using.

People installing a binary of axiom from MathAction or via debian  have even
less possibility to tell us what version they are using.

So, maybe we could use

YY.MM.branch.revision-number

For example,

                     Version: 7.06.wh-sandbox.607

or perhaps

                     Version: June 2007, wh-sandbox 607

instead of

>                    Version: Axiom (May 2007)

(I don't see a point in repeating "Axiom")

Curiously, my wh-sandbox gives

Version: Axiom build-improvements branch 2006-11-26

which is nonsense.

Martin