Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom version numbering

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom version numbering
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:08:38 +0200 (CEST)

> address@hidden writes:
>
> > > Only, the CHANGELOG is not installed.
> >
> > Eh? <http://axiom.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/axiom/trunk/axiom>
> > shows CHANGELOG in revision 631 of the trunk. Why is CHANGELOG
> > not installed? Can you SVN get the file?
>
> At least wh-sandbox does not install Changelog.wh. I.e., make install does not
> copy Changelog.wh into the install destination.  I am not proposing that it
> should, rather, I propose that the banner reflects the branch and the
> revision.

Recent wh-sandbox prints:

                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                 Version: Axiom wh-sandbox branch 2007-05-31
                Timestamp: Monday June 25, 2007 at 16:48:28
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.

(1) ->

Note that this from sbcl based Axiom, so there is no Lisp banner,
only the Axiom banner.  The date represent the last date when
the banner was updated.  This is not the best situation, but I
see no easy (or even not so easy) way to automatically include
revision number.  Note that using svn it is easy to include in a
file the revision number corresponding to the last time the
file was modified.  So, for example with reasonable effort I
could include revision number correspnding to the last modification
of the file containing the banner string.  But having such
revision number solves nothing: if other files are modified
later the banner will be out of date anyway.

Of course, one could try to update banner on each commit by hand.
But I think that the gain is not worth the effort: it is quite
likely that somebody will forget to modify the banner so the
information will be unreliable.  OTOH the person fetching Axiom
via svn will be informed which revision was fetched, and sources
contain ChangeLog.wh, so the counfusion should be limited.

I think that with limited effort we could embed into Axiom the
last ChangeLog entry (or even the whole ChangeLog if that is
preferable), but I am not sure if we want this.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden