[Axiom-developer] Re: Autoconf change

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Autoconf change
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:04:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, address@hidden wrote:

| I invite you to create a diff-Naur patch that creates ONLY the
| autoconf facility as a changeset.

As I explained a few days ago, the build machinery will be broken
into a few installments -- incremental improvements:

  (1) configure
  (2) Makefiles in several pieces.

I would like to get the configure change in first, then attack
the Makefile modification seperately in separate changes.  Yes, the
new configure is not that all useful without the Makefiles, but
in its own it is not entirely useless either and it is certainly
an improvement over Silver's configure.  All of this woul have to wait
until I get back to my primary development machine.

} Do the diff-Naur against the current
| silver. I'll withhold changes to silver until you're ready. Please try
| to make the changeset specific to autoconf, not to other features.
|
| Please make sure that the new regression works.
|
| I have a pending downcase change which is complete and ready to
| undergo testing. Since it is guaranteed to make your changeset
| incompatible I'll withhold it until your changeset is ready to
| apply. Then I'll refit the downcase change.

Please don't hold your downcasing changes on the Autoconf machinery.
As I explained two weeks ago (or so), I'm on travel and my main machine at
this moment is a windows based system.  I'm not fully back to home
untill August 2-3.  we will most certainly meet at ISSAC,
July 29-August 1, and try to resolve other issues in a face-to-face
meeting.