Re: [Axiom-developer] mnt binary storage

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] mnt binary storage
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:34:07 -0700 (PDT)

--- Stephen Wilson <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Cliff,
>
> I use asdf-binary-locations for private stuff, and I would imagine
> that it would be usable in Axiom, but it would certainly be somewhat
> involved to incorporate with the existing architecture so that you
> actually get most of the benefits of using the tool.

OK, we'll leave consideration of that for stage two :-).

> For now, I would ask you to consider defining your own methods over
> asdf:output-files, which enables you to say where particular types of
> output should go.  This is a relatively straightforward process and
> can be used to integrate with the existing scheme.  I would be happy
> to supply the details, if needed.

Sounds good.  I'm busy thinking about the best way to generate
intermediate file names - I'm not sure if using random filenames is a
good idea because for rebuilds I would have to store the original
random mappings.  Doable, but a bit of a pain.  Once I've got that, it
should be just a case of implementing all the perform methods.

It would be nice to bootstrap Boot without having to dump a core - I'll
have to play around a little and see what the hurdles are.  Without
that, asdf can't build the entire Axiom from scratch in one shot as far
as I can tell - dumping core files ends a session.  Hmm.

Cheers,
CY

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html