Re: [Axiom-developer] GCL-2.6.8 and Axiom

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] GCL-2.6.8 and Axiom
Date: 28 Jun 2007 14:54:17 +0200

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

>    For packaging, I believe we can adopt Subversion 1.4.4 solution: Make the
> core system available along a separate tarball of the dependencies.  If you
> unpack both in the same directory, you have all dependencies resolved.  I can
> implement that too -- but I need to finish another work that is pending.

There is another issue I find highly annoying and too difficult to resolve for
an average linux user:

configure does not complain load enough if certain packages / header files are
missing.  It is not clear which packages one has to install.

(I sent a list once, but it would be much better if configure would say:

necessary libraries missing: xxx.h, yyy.h, ...

libraries missing for hyperdoc / graphics: zzz.h, ...

  (the latter is in fact issued by configure / wh-sandbox, but buried in many
  many other messages)

I still have colleagues who tried to install wh-sandbox but didn't succeed.  Of
course, there is the mailing list, but many just don't bother / are too shy /
don't know what to do / etc...

Martin