[Axiom-developer] Re: defintrf.spad

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: defintrf.spad
Date: 06 Jul 2007 22:16:14 -0400

I will look into the issue tonight and over the weekend as well.

I have come across a simlar issue in trying to get the algebra to
build with gclcvs-2.7.0.

In this case, the problem is in polycat.spad, FiniteAbelianMonoidRing,
around line 170.  We have:

    if R has IntegralDomain then
       x exquo r ==
          -- probably not a very good definition in most special cases
          zero? x => 0
          ans:% :=0
          t:=leadingCoefficient x exquo r
          while not (t case "failed") and not zero? x repeat
            ans:=ans+monomial(t::R,degree x)
            x:=reductum x
            if not zero? x then t:=leadingCoefficient x exquo r
          t case "failed" => "failed"
          ans

The compiler seems to fail in resolving the coercion of t to R in the
line:
            ans:=ans+monomial(t::R,degree x)

Giving t an explicit type `solves' the problem:

          t:=leadingCoefficient x exquo r
  ==>
          t : Union(R, "failed") := leadingCoefficient x exquo r

Take care,
Steve