Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:39:25 -0400

Waldek Hebisch wrote:

> So while old algorithm
> remains correct, a superior one may be invented and replace
> the old.

Sure.  And I would agree with that.  I was thinking more along the lines
of the build system, the interpreter, client-server communication, etc.
 I would expect the mathematics to grow and change, although I DO hope
that category theory as a framework will endure and scale.

> There is an extra twist to this:  I suspect that polynomials
> in question are relatively prime.  With high probability
> a simple modular method will discover this.  But there is
> a question how to hook modular method so that it gets
> used.  I belive that the polynomials have type 'UP(Expression Integer)'
> and you need some extra work to determine if modular method
> is applicable.
>
> In short: new algorithms are discovered and to use new algorithm
> you may be forced to change parts of the system which at first
> glance have nothing to do with new code.

That sounds reasonable to me - I would regard that as an investigation
into new mathematics and as such a legitimate reason to update Axiom's
mathematical logic.  What I'm hoping to avoid is needing to do anything
major with the non-mathematical components of the system - they should
do what is needed and not break.  How to achieve this is probably where
the debate comes in, but I'll not start that up again.

Cheers,
CY

P.S. - how does one sign up for the new email list?