Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth
Date: 11 Jul 2007 17:29:50 -0500

Doug Stewart <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| Now look at the undocumented or poorly documented code and try changing it!
| I think Tim's comments of writing for the humans that will have to
| change- improve it, is fundamental. I gust have to look at some of
| my code written 20 years ago to see how vitally important Tim's
| statement is.

It appears to me that people seem to think that disagreeing with
Tim's dogmatic pamphlet style is disagreeing with better and well
documented Axiom system.  Nothing could be farther from truth.

As a matter of fact, almost all of the existing pamphlets pass Tim's
pamphlet test only at the syntax level.  And the ones that look
advanced documentation look to me poorer than non-pamphletized
documentation -- e.g. I have far less trouble reading
and trying to undestand SBCL source code than reading and
understanding bookvol5 and friends and the rest of the system.