Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth
Date: 11 Jul 2007 07:57:30 -0500

The notion that Axiom would need just to be written once and never
rewritten again is -- I'm afraid -- completely deconnected from
reality, and reflects an amateurish approach to software that
saddens me.

(1)  As a law, useful software evolve; otherwise they die.

(2)  Axiom is to support computational mathematics.  While 1+1=2
     will ternally be true, computation technologies *evolve*, *change*
     and many parts of Axiom will have to be changed, evolved,
     rewritten.

When you think you have 30 years to write Axiom, think about what
the environment in which it will be deployed will look like.  If you
don't need to make it useful, you can disregard my comments.  If you
don't need to sustain its development till 30 years from now, please
disregard my comments.