Re: [Axiom-developer] 2.7 build

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] 2.7 build
Date: 16 Jul 2007 22:36:00 -0400

Hello,

The patch silver-gclcvs-2.patch below is to be applied on top of the
original patchset (silver-gclcvs-1.patch, also included) against
the latest silver for running atop gclcvs-2.7.0.

It cleans up one temporary fix from the previous patchset, and works
around a bug in in axioms )read command.

This allows the build to complete and enter the test suite.
Unfortunately I am experiencing a segfault at this stage:

   steve:silver-gclcvs> AXIOMsys
   [...]
   (1) -> )read mnt/linux/input/easter.input
   [...]
   --S 182 of 201
   T:= (f, xx, a) +-> subst((DD**0)(f(x)), x = a)/factorial(0) * (xx - a)**0 + _
                      subst((DD**1)(f(x)), x = a)/factorial(1) * (xx - a)**1 + _
                      subst((DD**2)(f(x)), x = a)/factorial(2) * (xx - a)**2

   Segmentation violation: c stack ok:signalling error
   Unrecoverable error: Segmentation violation..
   zsh: abort      AXIOMsys

And similarly for elemnum.input.  Will look into this.

A further patch, input-workarounds.patch, simply removes these failing
input cases from the makefiles to allow the build to complete.

Moreover, Hyperdoc is not working.  On startup theHyperdoc window
flashes on the screen and bails with the message:

   steve:build-silver> axiom
   [...]
   (1) ->
   (1) -> syntax error: expected a newcommand
   not a word
   (HyperDoc) While parsing RootPage on line 1
           in the file
/home/steve/development/axiom/build-silver/mnt/linux/doc/hypertex/pages/rootpage.ht

   (1) -> )q

Has anyone seen the likes of this before?  Im relatively clueless about
Hyperdoc.  !!!!Any help here would be very much appreciated!!!!

Some very good news, however.  Atop gcl-2.6.8pre in ANSI, I could get
the build to complete but had a large number of failures in the
regression suite.  There appears to be only a handful of failures with
2.7.0 -- most appear to be the result of a simple printing error,
where 100 is printed as 10, 1000 as 100, etc.  I think we are just
around the corner from a full featured Axiom working on 2.7.0.

Again, apply the patches like so, against the latest silver:

  svn co https://axiom.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom/trunk/axiom silver

  cd silver

  patch -p1 < ../silver-gclcvs-1.patch
  patch -p1 < ../silver-gclcvs-2.patch

And similar if you wish to apply the makefile changes included with
input-workarounds.patch.

Sincerely,
Steve