Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: debugging

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: debugging
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 01:31:59 +0200 (CEST)

> Greetings!  The disassemble bug we saw earlier (end of file) is due to
> a redefinition of compiler::gazonk-name somewhere in your tree.  (We
> now have a different format for temporary file names.)

gazonk-name is redefined in file 'util.lisp.pamphlet' at line 1531.
I considered removing this definition -- currently GCL version
is better.   However, currently I decided to keep Axiom version,
because I belive that GCL version would just mask (but does not
really solve) problems with gazonk names.

Namely, there is a bug, see:

With GCL version we still would have a bug, just one extremally unlikely
(due to random names) to bite.  As I wrote in the message at URL
above, I belive that for Axiom the best way would be to create
a gazonk directory, making sure it is owned by the user running Axiom
and to put gazonk file there.

> Would it be possible to summarize any gcl lisp functions for which
> patching/redefinition is felt necessary in axiom, and work toward
> eliminating same?  The current situation will just create more work as
> GCL and axiom evolve.

The general direction is to use umodified/unpatched gcl, and in general
to limit dependency on GCL internals.  I belive that currently almost
all dependencies are conditional (otherwise sbcl/clisp port would not
work).  My intension is keep non-portable (using conditionals) code
separately from the rest of Axiom.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden