Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlet format discussion

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlet format discussion
Date: 21 Jul 2007 01:33:54 -0400

"Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
> I'll have a look how \begin{verbatim} ... \end{verbatim} is handled in
> auctex. I am sure this can be generalized in such a way that chunks
> written in some programming language will be syntax-highlighted by an
> appropriate mode.

Take a look at the listings package. It does a fairly nice job of
formatting a large number of languages.  It is extensible too. One
draw back is that there are a few active characters, so it is not a
true verbatim environment, and complicates the typing of code.

> Ideally, we should have the possibliity to have chunks written in
> several languages in the same pamphlet, and to work with them
> comfortably from emacs. Currently, this is not possible; so, I don't
> think that the current setup is purfect and should not be improved.

I am not sure what you mean here.  Noweb and similar tools are
language independent.  By specifying the root chunk to extract at the
tangle stage, you can extract source code in various languages from
the same pamphlet.

Steve