Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlet format discussion

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlet format discussion
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 02:10:09 -0400

On 21 Jul 2007 01:46:32 -0400, Stephen Wilson wrote:
"Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden> writes:
[...]

> But in the majority of cases, weaving will by just the
> identity transformation. I think this is a Good Thing - saving build
> time and the necessity to learn one more syntax.

Every literate programmer knows the basic syntax already.  Noweb, for
example, introduces two new constructs.  This is minor, totally
trivial.  Your not learning a new programming language.  One can
memorize and be completely fluent writing a pamphlet in about ten
minutes.

I agree with Steve, noweb seems entirely adequate for the purpose for
which it is used in Axiom. I do not see any point in the change in
syntax proposed by Tim and supported by Andrey. Further I do not see a
tool like noweb - no matter how the syntax might be expressed or
extended - as a possible way forward to a significantly improved
literate programming methodology. Except for the (to me irrational)
desire to embed noweb in a lisp-only incarnation of Axiom, I do not
see any reason to waste time on this issue. Noweb is entirely adequate
as it stands and represents that ideal situation of depending on other
open source projects for basic tools.