[Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlet format discussion

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlet format discussion
Date: 21 Jul 2007 14:07:59 -0400

address@hidden writes:
> The same effect could be achieved by making
>
>   \begin{chunk}{C}
>
> automatically escape << sequences,
>
>   \begin{chunk}{latex}
>
> automatically escape \
>
>   \begin{chunk}{spad}
>
> automatically escape [[
> etc.
>
> Making this work would take some time but would not be difficult.

I dont understand.  What are the active characters in a begin{chunk}
environment?  Why do you need to escape `[[', for example?

> Latex also involves a fairly steep learning curve but latex is widely
> used in mathematics, mostly due to its typesetting abilities. However,
> almost every conference I've been associated with expects (and
> sometimes requires) latex. Thus there is a benefit beyond axiom for
> learning latex, making the learning effort worthwhile.

Most literate documents are mainly latex.  The learning curve is still
there if you want to climb it.

We can always weave our pamphlets for submission to conference
proceedings.

> Latex already is the standard for axiom documentation so people would
> have to have at least a minimal understanding of latex.

I agree.

> Note that I'm not advocating dropping weave, simply pointing out that
> most of what we currently wish to do can easily be achieved using
> standard latex and the already-necessary axiom.sty file.

I agree that latex can handle the job of typesetting documents.

As you know, I have my reasons to think that something which must be
woven into latex is not itself latex.

Latex is fully capable of tangling the chunks too.  But I would
argue against doing that for similar reasons.

Steve