Re: [Axiom-developer] literate programming and Claerbout's Insight

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] literate programming and Claerbout's Insight
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 09:40:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:

> for many, that is not a practical difference -- since they are
> already using commercial systems.

For many, yes.  If functionality is all that is important and the
budget is there, commercial systems are the current obvious choice -
that's why they are commercial successes, after all.

There are other intangible reasons people support open systems and
software.  Open source is often pragmatic in a "get the job done"
sense, but sometimes it really is the concrete manifestation of
idealism.  Like, say, the principle that a system be subject to audit
for correctness down to its foundations by anyone who is interested in
doing so.

> Currently, Axiom isn't.  But if its proponents are convinced that
> they do should their best to chase away "novices", then the system is
> doomed to premature death.

I don't see that we are chasing away novices - we ARE setting goals
that are not easy to meet.  That can be intimidating (Axiom was
initially very intimidating for me) but now I see the reasons for the
methods and the learning curve.  "Nothing worth doing is easy."

> | I would say we aren't ready for use cases where people want to
> | simply use the CAS without developing it in the process.
>
> yes, but do you want Axiom to indefinitely stay in that state?

No!  But I DO want it to exit that state in a condition that will
establish it as something rock solid, maintainable, and a product
bringing something unique to the CAS world.  I accept that this will
take time and a lot of work - the only way up a mountain is to climb
it.

Cheers,
CY

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.