Re: [Axiom-developer] aldor/axiom interoperability

From: Gregory Vanuxem
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] aldor/axiom interoperability
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:52:06 +0100

Le samedi 15 mars 2008 à 08:19 -0400, Bill Page a écrit :

[...]

> Maybe the problem with 'output' is a bug introduced by using FriCAS as
> the version of Axiom. But I do not recall specifically if Greg ever
> said exactly what version of Axiom he was using.

Yes, I always speak of « my » version of Axiom, sorry. GCL is buggy on
my system. I have absolutely no idea why. I tried hard to debug this for
other GLC users (and Camm) without success :-( GCL is a complex piece of
software for me...

Here is its manifestation:

address@hidden:~$ export AXIOM=/usr/local/axiom/mnt/linux/
address@hidden:~$ /usr/local/axiom/mnt/linux/bin/axiom
GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.8 CLtL1    Jan 27 2008 15:27:27
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd,xgcl)
Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
Temporary directory for compiler files set to /tmp/
                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                        Version: Axiom (January 2008)
               Timestamp: Sunday January 27, 2008 at 16:33:07
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.

   Re-reading compress.daase   Re-reading interp.daase
   Re-reading operation.daase
   Re-reading category.daase
   Re-reading browse.daase
(1) -> )set br q
(1) -> 1/0
 1) ->
   >> Error detected within library code:
   division by zero

   You have two options. Enter:
     top        to return to top level, or
     break      to enter a LISP break loop.

   Please enter your choice now:

The 'continue' choice is missing !!! I can't use GCL with this bug. The
funny thing is that I have used Axiom for maybe 2 years without noticing
this.

So actually I'm using a mix of Axiom/FriCAS/OpenAxiom that builds/runs
on CMUCL, SBCL and Clisp. It's simpler to perform experimentations. I
plan to completely switch to FriCAS, I just want memory usage in it :

(2) -> 1/2

        1
   (2)  -
        2
                   Type: Fraction Integer
                   Time: 0.002 (EV) + 0.004 (OT) = 0.01 sec
                   Storage: 96K (EV) + 28K (OT) = 124K bytes

I will drop a patch on the FriCAS mailing list when time will permits.
It will eventually be included in. In the past I had several
experimental Axiom trees but stopped to "maintains" them because of lack
of time (I have lost a tree that save/restore the complete environnement
when starting/quitting Axiom, grrrr!!!!). Theses trees were generally
pure experimentation and not interesting in themselves.

Actually I do not use CAS a lot (just for simple computations).

Hope to be better understood.

Greg