Re: [Axiom-developer] On syntactic coloring of language

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] On syntactic coloring of language
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 15:04:15 -0400

Hi Ralf:

I don't think Tim is talking about the "product" (such as a compiled pdf from LaTeX, or a rendered html web page), but about the source files. The style in a publication is rightly the choice of the author, as a personal artistic preference. While it is possible (I won't say "easy") to change the style of a published work (as a web page, by changing css file), I doubt a reader would waste time if the reader finds the rendition really subjectively offending. The work will most likely be ignored. But that is not an issue: the author most likely just wanted to appeal to "flocks of the same feather" and used the style as a filter.

If the source (ASCII text with markups) is the product, then I agree with you. By using a different editor, one can change the style or even make it plain text with relative ease (say cut and paste to Notepad). The main issue in that case is the ubiquitous LF/CR problem.

William

On Mon, 19 May 2014 16:26:15 +0200