Re: Axiom musings...

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: Axiom musings...
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 20:07:52 -0500

Another thought is that Axiom is "not fully factored". There is
a logic and category theory concept called "the carrier". In
Axiom terms, this is the Rep aka the representation. Axiom
bundles the representation with the domain, which is reasonable.

However, representations are likely data structures with their
own specification, proof, and associated code. So it seems
reasonable to re-factor Axiom to separate the Rep from the
Domain and make it a parameter.

This has the effect of separating data structure proofs from
domain proofs. It also allows the axioms and theorems from
the Rep data structure to be used in domain function proofs.

The category is, as implemented, a "dictionary" of operations.
The SANE version has much more information, including
logical axioms and definitions.

So a domain is actually composed of (at least) 3 parts:

OPS: operations (from the category)
REP: representations (from data structures, aka Rep)
IMP: implementations (in the domain itself)

A domain is OPS x REP x IMP.
A package is OPS x IMP

Note that, as mentioned above, REP can itself be a domain.

The CLOS implementation needs to factor these into
class / instance objects that exist both at compile time
and at run time (since types, including new categories,
can be constucted at run time).

Tim