baby-devel

Re: [baby-devel] compile problems with 14.1

From: Jerome Kunegis
Subject: Re: [baby-devel] compile problems with 14.1
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:06:13 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

> I'm using gcc 3.3.2 on a gentoo platform. The problem was in the
> Evaluator_Widget::Wdg_Cose() function where you use the scope resolution
> operator to access the base classes of the Evaluator class, IO_Child_Process
> and Timer. Looking at the code I found that IO_Child_Process and Timer are
> *private* base classes of Evaluator! Public members of a privately inherited
> class become private in the child class and hence inaccessible to any of its
> descendants. I added the functions:
>
> bool timerIs() { return Timer::Is(); }
> void timerStop() { Timer::Stop(); }
>
> to the evaluator class to access these base classes, and replaced the
> appropriate calls in Evaluator_Widget::Wdg_Close with calls to these
> functions:
>
> IO_Child_Process::Is() with !Evaluator::Terminated()
> Timer::Is() with Evaluator::timerIs()
> Timer::Stop() with Evaluator::timerStop()
>
> I guess earlier versions of gcc might have been less strict on this, which is
> why the problem only showed up now. I certainly remember installing 14.1
> without issue last time I did it, which was using gcc 3.2, I think.

I'm using Mandrake 9.0 now, and plan to upgrade to 10.0.  Hopefully it
will have gcc >=3.3.2.  If you want I can release the current development
version of BabyChess 16, and you apply the changes there and send them to
the mailing list.

> As a more general point: I know you offer a GUI along with baby chess, but it
> would be really useful if the GUI and the engine were separate make targets
> or even separate packages. I use KDE, not Gnome, and as such I'd need to
> install all of libgnomeui to get version 15 to compile cleanly. I've actually
> chosen to just make do with version 14.1 for that very reason. I suspect a
> lot of people would be quite happy just to install the engine and not have to
> worry about the GUI dependencies.
Do you think it is OK to have a flag like ./configure --no-gnome ?  I
could implement that for version 16.

Bye,
        Jerome KUNEGIS