bbdb-user

Re: BBDB autodialing

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: BBDB autodialing
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 14:17:01 -0500

On Wed Apr 4 2018 Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
> Bicycle shedding aside, it seems like it might be a good idea to use a
> general-purpose mechanism for opening a URL like
> mailto:address@hidden or https://www.example.com/ but with the phone
> number. The appropriate format is given by
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3966.txt but basically for our purposes
> they look like
>
> tel:+1-212-555-2018
>
> where the + and international dialing code are mandatory, and the '-'
> characters are legal but "must be ignored."
>
> This would also allow skype:joe_example or googlehangouts:whatever
> by symmetry, and it would be up the the URI handling system to
> deal appropriately; I know android has a mechanism that allows
> apps to register themselves for various classes of URIs.

By default, bbdb-dial-number will pass phone numbers to browse-url
using the tel URI.  The actions taken by browse-url are determined
by browse-url-browser-function.  In most cases, the latter variable
is probably the one to use (and not bbdb-dial-function, unless
different emacs packages should handle phone numbers differently).
In that sense the question is not about BBDB in particular.

But in the end, coming from emacs, the question remains what to use
for browse-url-browser-function.  I do not know anything about that.