bibledit-development

[be] [bug #27366] installation on eeepc

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: [be] [bug #27366] installation on eeepc
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 09:30:31 +0000

             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Thanks for your response, with the tip of fetching files from an http
server. I got some help from Bruce Schwager in the computer helpdesk here at
Ukarumpa in getting through the proxy server, and was able to download all
the dependencies for Bibledit on the EEE PC.

I fetched the tar file and unpacked it and followed your instructions, and
now Bibledit 3.2.35 is running!

I had to do an extra step along the way, because the Eee system has been
changed. On the page
    http://www.nongnu.org/bibledit/33_asus_eee.html
I did
    cd /eeepc
    sudo ./eeepc-install-menu
and restarted the machine, but there wasn't any Bibledit icon in the Work
tab.
I checked the file
    /home/user/.AsusLauncher/simpleui.rc and found a well-formed "basket"
for Bibledit, so I wondered why it wasn't having the right effect. I asked
google about simpleui.rc, and found
    http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:backupsimpleui
and found there
<<<<<
    The new versions of the EeePC (e.g. 900D and even models 700 after
updating) do not take into account anymore the file
/home/user/.AsusLauncher/simpleui.rc. Instead, the file
/var/lib/AsusLauncher/simpleui.rc can be used. All the commands that follow
have to be modified by consequence.

If you don't have time to modify
    /eeepc/eeepc-install-menu
I'd suggest you add something to your page, after
    After rebooting the machine, the Bibledit icon is in the Work tab
such as:
<<<<
If the icon does not appear on the Work tab after a reboot, you probably
have a newer Eee PC, so it is not looking at the file modified by the
previous step. You will need to copy the file that was modified by
eeepc-install-menu to a different location, like this:

Start a terminal window, with Ctrl-Alt-t and type these commands:
    f=AsusLauncher/simpleui.rc
    sudo   cp   -b   .$f   /var/lib/$f
Restart the computer.

I have also found that some of the popup dialogs in Bibledit are too tall
for the Asus Eee PC screen, so the buttons at the bottom are off the screen.
The top edges of these dialogs can't be dragged down, so there is no way
short of guessing of choosing the button to accept the dialog and close it.

Is there a control file setting that I could change so that these dialogs
would become autoscaling, so that they fit within the screen? Otherwise
they'll be pretty hard for mother-tongue translators to use.

If not, could you accept that as a problem to work on when you get time?

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?27366>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/