bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Fwd: kasi inja mitone be man komak kone?

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Fwd: kasi inja mitone be man komak kone?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 00:18:10 +0330

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 14:01, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:
> I did already!
>
> On Wednesday 15 January 2003 13:33, Arash Zeini wrote:
> > > salam
> > >

> > > I use  Linux Mandrake 9.0 and i can''t type farsi ,
> > > who can help me? to find out how i can type farsi in
> > > linux Mandarke 9.0 <br />
> > > thank u <br />
> > > Stay Cool:)
> > >
> > > emad
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Forwarding this on behalf of a new member. Can
> > somebody help him?

Yup, I was sitting next to Arash B when he wrote an email to emad and adviced
him on how to type farsi. but maybe emad didn't receive that email, or maybe
Arash B's instructions were (as always) a little
Everybody-Must-Know-This-Thing , so I am gonna repeat what Arash B wrote, in
my own language, mind you.

First of all emad, I don't have a Mandrake 9.0 in my hand right now, so I am
not completely sure, if they haven't done anything as wierd as removing the K
Control Center. But Assuming that they haven't done such an evil thing, I
think these general tips should work for everybody. I know that mandrake 9.0
has got KDE 3.0 and XFree86 4.2.1 so generally speaking, you shouldn't have
any problem writing in farsi.

Second thing is that these instructions are all, in case you use KDE. If you
use Gnome, or any other window manager in fact, you have two options: 1.
Switch to KDE and 2. Forget about the whole farsi thing.

now that you use KDE, open control center (it is accesible via the K menu),
then go to pripheral section, and then the keyboard section. Then open the
layout tab, and enable keyboard layouts. after that select farsi as your
primary layout, and basic as your variant. Then go to options tab, and in
last entry, where it says group shift/lock behaviour, select Alt+Shift
changes group. click on apply and the close the control center. You might
need to restart X for settings to take effect.

Now it's time to get a Unicode font. The font that I suggest is Arial Unicode
MS, which is download able from farsikde website. after downloading this
font, open K control cnetre again, go to the adminstratrive section and
select font installer. ( my previous experience with mandrake shows that they
have removed this section and instead have added it to their own mandrake
control center. If you don't have a font installer in your K control center,
then look for it in mandrake control center). Now you should be adminstrator
(have root previlages), and now install the font. Then again form the K
control center, go to appearence, and go to the font section, and choose
Arial Unicode MS as your default font. click on apply and close control
center.

Now everything should be in place, and you shall be able to write farsi in
some KDE applications, like Kedit, KMail, Konqueror, and KWord (the whole
KOffice in fact). There you are.

BTW, the keyboard layout that comes with XFree86 4.2.1 is alright, but it
doesn't have farsi numbers. If you want a better keyboard layout, you shall
get on from farsikde website, and then replace your layout with this one.
That shall do the trick

Cheers
Aryan

--
/*Tell the world that we're going to be the grim
* reaper of innocent orphaned children.