bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Bongo wishlist #10: display track length

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Bongo wishlist #10: display track length
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 17:33:28 +0100

Hi Romain,

> It would be nice if Bongo displayed the length of each track in the
> playlist buffer (not in the library buffer) next to the file name.

Interesting idea.  The information could be fetched on
demand as tracks are enqueued and cached in the library.

I have installed a partial implementation.  The only tracks
that actually get length information are audio CD tracks,
but the foundation and display code is there now.

> The only way to have this information right now is to start playing
> the track, but sometimes I'd like to know in advance...

Yes, it would be a useful feature.

> To fetch the info, Bongo could use `ogginfo' for Ogg files,
> and `mpginfo' (from the mpgtx package) for MP3 files.

Isn't there any tool that can do all types?

> Note that we might not want to do this by default since
> analyzing the files might slow things down a bit.

Yeah.  I guess we can decide if the extra overhead is
acceptable by default once it's implemented.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>