cameleon-dev

[cameleon-dev] Findlib migration, a real proposition

From: Sylvain LE GALL
Subject: [cameleon-dev] Findlib migration, a real proposition
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:36:42 +0200

Hello all,

I work on cameleon and findlib migration a part of the week. I think my
new type of makefile is really compact and understandable. If some of
you want to take a look at it, it should be great.

In some words, and because if you take a look at it, you will think i am
crazy :
- the $(eval $(call ...)) is a function call in a Makefile.
- you can understand this call with master.Makefile.in ( self documented
  ).
- the idea of this stuff is to have a cenralized way to specify new
  rules. For example, i want to dump ocamldoc for every library, i just
  have to specify this target in the ADD_TARGET_LIBRARY and it will be
  included in every Makefile.
- you do not need to specify all the cmo... They are computed
  automatically from .depend ( and that is great ).

It gives very short Makefile ( the bigger part is the licence ).

I have still problems :
- dbforge/translate is weird, it uses *.cmo from everywhere ( dbforge,
  ocamlsql... ). I have hard time to deal with it. I will let it till, i
  will work back on the main branch.
- the ADD_TARGET_PROGRAM_ESSENTIAL has problem, it must install in the
  build dir a BYTECODED program ( because if it does cross compilation,
  it cannot understand native code ). And there is a conflict with the
  classical TARGET...
- zoggy/save/zog_gui_base.ml is not copied to zoggy/, which was done
  before.
- no doc is generated ( but it is not a big problem )

Apart from the fact that you should copy zoggy/save/zog_gui_base.ml to
zoggy/, the commited files are ok. I will continue to work on the
documentation. But i think that findlib migration should be done
completely in one week.

If any of you have problem with the compilation and/or any question,
remarks...

Kind regard
Sylvain LE GALL.