cardinal-dev

[Cardinal-dev] IMCC 0.0.3 beefs up

From: Melvin Smith
Subject: [Cardinal-dev] IMCC 0.0.3 beefs up
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:45:46 -0400

I've just committed the 3rd revision of the Parrot intermediate compiler.
Angel Faus has added register spilling to work with the graph-coloring
allocator. Currently we spill regs to an array in P31. Given that we don't
have random access stacks, this is the only fast way to do this.

Much thanks to Angel; anyone who has written a register allocator knows the
spiller is the ugliest part to get right, and he stepped in just when I was
getting swamped at work.

I do not like the fact that we have to use keyed access at a low level
to accomplish this, so I hope we consider adding random access
to stacks.

If you haven't looked at IMCC, we've written a complete
register allocator that you can map symbolic variables to. This means
that anyone that wishes to write a compiler for Parrot can just
emit code for IMCC and let it handle the dirty work of VM register
allocation, spillage, peephole optimization, constant expression
evaluation, etc.

-Melvin