cardinal-dev

[Cardinal-dev] Re: IMCC 0.0.3 beefs up

From: Dan Sugalski
Subject: [Cardinal-dev] Re: IMCC 0.0.3 beefs up
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 02:25:21 -0400

At 7:45 PM -0400 6/13/02, Melvin Smith wrote:
I do not like the fact that we have to use keyed access at a low level
to accomplish this, so I hope we consider adding random access
to stacks.

It's on the list--it's just never gotten implemented. Time to fix that, I think. We've added (or are working on adding) real integer access to arrays without keys, but that's not in, and this will likely be faster.

If you haven't looked at IMCC, we've written a complete
register allocator that you can map symbolic variables to. This means
that anyone that wishes to write a compiler for Parrot can just
emit code for IMCC and let it handle the dirty work of VM register
allocation, spillage, peephole optimization, constant expression
evaluation, etc.

And Yay, Melvin! (And Angel!)
--
                                        Dan