chicken-hackers

[Chicken-hackers] Re: debian/changelog: the version didn't match version

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Re: debian/changelog: the version didn't match version.scm
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:15:42 +0600

 >> Currently, it's not checked whether the version on the top of
 >> debian/changelog actually matches the one in version.scm.  Thus, the
 >> Debian package built out of the fresh (2.740) source will have
 >> 2.732-0.1 in its Version: field.

 >> Perhaps, debian/changelog should be updated manually.  However,
 >> couldn't there be a Make target to ensure that these versions do
 >> match, so that the Debian package will fail to build rather than
 >> being build with an incorrect Version:?

 > Well, if you can figure how to add entries to debian/changelog
 > programmatically, then yes. But since the Debian tools are extremely
 > picky about the format of that file, I always use the Emacs mode to
 > add entries to it. If there is a better way, I want to hear about it.

        Actually, I believe it's fine to have debian/changelog updated
        manually.  (And, well, the injection of the package into the
        Debian archive isn't supposed to be fully automated, ain't it?)

        It would be nice, however, to abort the build in case of version
        mismatch.

        Other issues with the Debian package (besides using its own
        version of PCRE and allowing to build a package with a wrong
        Version:) are:

        * use of /var/lib/chicken;

        * since the Maintainer: field is to be used when reporting bugs,
          is it reasonable to mention (apparently MIA) Debian developer
          here?

        * shouldn't Homepage: field be added as well?

--cut: deb-control(5)--
        Homepage: <url>
                The upstream project home page URL.
--cut: deb-control(5)--

        * while these are rarely used in practice, shouldn't it be used
          for this off-the-Debian package?

--cut: deb-control(5)--
        Origin: <name>
                The   name  of   the  distribution   this   package  is
                originating from.

        Bugs: <url>
                The   url  of   the  bug   tracking  system   for  this
                package.     The     current     used     format     is
                <bts_type>://<bts_address>,                         like
                debbugs://bugs.debian.org.
--cut: deb-control(5)--