chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Egg filename versioning

From: Graham Fawcett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Egg filename versioning
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:34:13 -0500

On Feb 12, 2008 9:37 AM, Leonardo Valeri Manera
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/02/2008, Graham Fawcett <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > OK, you're hit. :-) I've updated the CGI, they are all .tar.gz.
> > Actually, you can use any extension you want, the current script is
> > very permissive.
> Well, don't expose yourself to possible security issues on my account! ;)

Oh, it's nothing that terrible. I just cheated when I wrote the regex
for parsing requests to download eggs: it matches on the prefix only.
/gentoo-eggs/foobar-3-.* will contain the body of the current
foobar.egg from the release-3 branch.

> .tar.gz does it for us, I've gotten rid of the 'orrible hack, in fact
> I've gotten rid of src_unpack() entirely, the default handles it.
>
> Dependencies work, compile & install work, the .setup-info has the
> actual paths (a little post-compile sed -i does the trick), I've just
> make an ebuild for an egg with a test suite, but I expect that to work
> too.

Awesome! I wish I were a gentoo user, so I could enjoy your good work. ;-)

> Basically, ready when you are :D

OK. If you believe the load on the CGI will be reasonably low, then
keep using it for now. Our university has fat pipes, it's just that
they might not appreciate a DDOS. ;-) If I understand you correctly,
you have a few systems that will grab eggs and prepare them as gentoo
packages, so the CGI won't be pounded on by hundreds of users.
Correct?

Fellow Chicken-hackers, do you think we could move this CGI or
something like it to a more permanent location, e.g, the
call-with-current-continuation.org site?

Graham