chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Egg filename versioning

From: Leonardo Valeri Manera
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Egg filename versioning
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:25:42 +0100

On 12/02/2008, Graham Fawcett <address@hidden> wrote:
> Oh, it's nothing that terrible. I just cheated when I wrote the regex
> for parsing requests to download eggs: it matches on the prefix only.
> /gentoo-eggs/foobar-3-.* will contain the body of the current
> foobar.egg from the release-3 branch.

Ah, allright :)

> Awesome! I wish I were a gentoo user, so I could enjoy your good work. ;-)

Thanks! There was very little work on my part though, the ebuilds are
very simple now that you've done all the hard work with the webapp!

src_compile() {
        chicken-setup -R ${S}/install
}

src_install () {
        local EGGDOC_DIR="/usr/share/doc/chicken-eggs/${EGG_NAME}"
        local EGG_LIBS="${EGG_NAME}.so"
        local EGG_FILES="${EGG_NAME}.o ${EGG_NAME}.setup-info"
        local EGG_DOCS="${EGG_NAME}.html style.css"

        cd ${S}/install

        einfo "Setting installation paths ..."
        sed -i -e "s:${S}/install:${CHICKEN_REPOSITORY}:g"
${EGG_NAME}.setup-info
        sed -i -e "s:${CHICKEN_REPOSITORY}/\(.*\).html:${EGGDOC_DIR}/\1.html:g"
${EGG_NAME}.setup-info

        insinto ${CHICKEN_REPOSITORY:-/usr/lib/chicken/3}
        einfo "Installing extension files ..."
        insopts -m775
        for file in ${EGG_LIBS}; do
                doins ${file}
        done
        insopts -m644
        for file in ${EGG_FILES}; do
                doins ${file}
        done

        insinto ${EGGDOC_DIR}
        einfo "Installing documentation ..."
        for file in ${EGG_DOCS}; do
                doins ${file}
        done
}

Apart from that, its just setting a few variables :)

Once there's enough ebuilds I'll probably setup an eclass, at which
point i won't be defining functions at all.

> OK. If you believe the load on the CGI will be reasonably low, then
> keep using it for now. Our university has fat pipes, it's just that
> they might not appreciate a DDOS. ;-) If I understand you correctly,
> you have a few systems that will grab eggs and prepare them as gentoo
> packages, so the CGI won't be pounded on by hundreds of users.
> Correct?

Well, there aren't /that/ many users to the overlay...

Once they hit the main tree, they'll get mirrored on a few (heh)
mirrors around the world ;)
See http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors2.xml

The package managers (usually) always check the gentoo mirrors first
even for URIs that are not of the mirror://gentoo/<file> type, so I
doubt it'll ever hit your website once they're in there, but since I
don't have figures for chicken users who sync to the
gentoo-lisp-overlay repository, I'm gonna verge on the side of caution
for now.

Cheers!
Leo