chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Build failure for Chicken from Git master

From: Dirk Ullrich
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Build failure for Chicken from Git master
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 03:11:28 +0200

Hi Christian + Mario,

2012/8/9 Christian Kellermann <address@hidden>:
> Hi Dirk,
[...]
> Please build chicken master from the latest development
> snapshot. Currently the next release candidate resembles master (as
> the time of this writing) and includes the bootstrap C files, so you
> can build it without chicken.
>
> In general you will need to have the lasted dev snapshot installed and
> then build a boot-chicken.
>
> The canonical way is:
>
> make PLATFORM=linux boot-chicken
> make PLATFORM=linux CHICKEN=./chicken-boot # <- your new boot chicken
> make PLATFORM=linux install
>
> Please let us know whether you need more help getting master to run.
[...]
thank you both very much more your hints! Based on them I was able to
build and install Chicken using the following steps where the 4.8.0rc1
source tarball is extracted into `nextstable' and Git master is cloned
into `devel':
1. Within `nextstable': make PLATFORM=linux
2. After entering `devel': LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../nextstable make PLATFORM=linux \
                                   CHICKEN=../nextstable/chicken boot-chicken
3. make PLATFORM=linux CHICKEN=./chicken-boot
4. make PLATFORM=linux PREFIX=/path/to/install/chicken
I've noted that the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' setting in 2. is essential if
`nextstable' is not part of standard
library load path or if you have a to-old standard installation of
Chicken already on your system.

This procedure worked both for Debian unstable x86_64 and Arch Linux x86_64.

Cheers,
Dirk