Re: java.util.zip

From: John Leuner
Subject: Re: java.util.zip
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:52:32 +0000

> > http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/status.html#java.util.zip
> >
> Sorry, those pages are very old. We haven't heard from Loren Peace for
> a long time. The current plan is to import the java.util.zip implementation
> from libgcj <http://gcc/gnu.org/java/>. The only problem is that the native
> part is written in CNI and for Classpath we want (also) a JNI version in
> Classpath so VMs that only support JNI can also use it.
>
> Jochen Hoenicke has made a CNI to JNI conversion that can be found at
> <http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/~delwi/classpath/JCL/>.
> I still have not gotten around to testing and importing it in Classpath.

Jochen has also completed a pure-java implementation of java.util.zip. I don't
know if this will be the preferred implementation for classpath, but I suggest
that it at least be a compile-time option.

You can get the source and compiled classes at http://jazzlib.sourceforge.net/

> > I've created java.util.zip.ZipConstants, how can I contribute it to
> > Classpath?
> Could you compare it to the version in libgcj?
>
> If you want to contribute large (more then 10/20 lines) pieces of code
> you do have to sign over your copyright to the FSF. That way all Classpath
> code can be legally defended by the FSF.

If the code mentioned above gets included in Classpath, then I will have to
sign some documentation (even though I wrote only a fraction of the code).

How do I go about doing this?

John Leuner