Re: java.util.zip

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: java.util.zip
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:17:32 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 08:52:32PM +0000, John Leuner wrote:

> Jochen has also completed a pure-java implementation of java.util.zip. I
> don't know if this will be the preferred implementation for classpath, but I
> suggest that it at least be a compile-time option.
>
> You can get the source and compiled classes at http://jazzlib.sourceforge.net/

Yeah! This is great!
I would love to have this as the default implementation in Classpath.
Would there be any reason to not make the pure java version the default?
(Most JVMs will probably link to zlib already but some might not.)

> > If you want to contribute large (more then 10/20 lines) pieces of code
> > you do have to sign over your copyright to the FSF. That way all Classpath
> > code can be legally defended by the FSF.
>
> If the code mentioned above gets included in Classpath, then I will have to
> sign some documentation (even though I wrote only a fraction of the code).
>
> How do I go about doing this?

Officially Paul Fisher <mailto:address@hidden> handles all FSF papers.
Could you send him email to ask if he can send you the appropriate
papers to sign.

Some quick questions:
Was any code shared with the jcraft people?
Do you have a record of all people that contributed to the code?
Is there a official ChangeLog file? (I can get most from CVS I suppose.)

Thanks,

Mark
--
Stuff to read: