Re: State of AWT

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: State of AWT
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:09:10 -0800

Stuart Ballard wrote:
Paul Fisher wrote:

Various Red Hat people have been bugging me to port the peers to GTK
2.  That's probably something that should be done.

Does GTK2 have a planned release date?

I don't know, but Gnome2 does.
See http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/schedule/

The API is basically frozen, and libraries (installable in
parallel with Gnome1) have been released for developers.  The
main issue at this point seems to be porting existing applications
to Gnome2, which does not affect us.

It seems unlikely we'd have a stable awt before Gnome2 is
available, so I say we might as well use Gnome2 for our
development.  I certainly would prefer to use the new text
widget for the text components.  I also think that Graphics2D
will be easier to implement using Gtk2, so why waste time
with Gtk1 (except that more example code and documentation is
available for Gtk1).
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://www.bothner.com/per/