Re: build question

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: build question
Date: 06 Feb 2002 14:45:51 -0700

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Blake <address@hidden> writes:

Eric> automake: native/jni/java-lang/Makefile.am: `\' is not a standard
Eric> libtool library name

This is curious.  This error shouldn't happen.  Apparently what is
happening here is that automake thinks that the `\' continuation
character in the definition of pkglib_LTLIBRARIES is supposed to be
the name of a library.

I can't reproduce this problem here.  Since you are using Cygwin,
which most of us aren't, perhaps the problem is somehow related to
that.  For instance, it could be a line termination problem.

Could you investigate this for me?  I'd like to fix automake.

I notice in lib/Automake/XFile.pm we use binmode on the file handle.
Is that really correct though?  I'd have thought we would not want to
use it, so that line terminators are auto-translated.  (This is just a
suspicion though.  I don't actually know what the problem is.)

Eric> -libjavalang_la_SOURCES := \
Eric> -                       java_lang_System.c \
Eric> +libjavalang_la_SOURCES = java_lang_System.c \

I think this part of the patch is fine.
Generally there's no reason to use `:='.
Having `\' after the `=' ought to work though.

Tom