Re: NEWS file for next release

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: NEWS file for next release
Date: 07 Feb 2002 15:47:12 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 10:18, Chris Gray wrote:
> Bryce McKinlay wrote:
>
> > I think that is not a bug, but rather an obscure C++ misfeature called
> > "trigraphs".
>
> Don't I recall reading in the index of some GNU manual (probably for
> gcc):
>   ANSI Trigraphs
>     You don't want to know about this particular braindamage.
>
> :)

Really funny. The gcc manual actually says that when it "explains" the
-trigraphs option. That is all the documentation it gives! Argh.

I tried to lookup more info on trigraphs but could not find that much.
What I could find did not say that ::: was actually a trigraph. Stange.
The patch is neccessary and does work for me (gcc 3.0.4 debian
prerelease). Does anybody know if it is a real fix or something bogus?

Anyway, I added a new file with the patches that I needed as
resource/orp-1.0.9.patch and updated the ORP build instructions for
using the native Classpath libraries with the latest ORP on
<http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/doc/orp.html>. (And I actually
tested it with clean installs of both ORP and Classpath.) If someone
else could try it out that would be much appreciated.

I also updated the README file with new URLs for the VMs that currently
use Classpath and added the following text:

    GNU Classpath has been tested to work out of the box with the latest
    ORP release. Instructions for building ORP with this GNU Classpath
    release can be found at
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/doc/orp.html>. Most JVMs come
    with their own customized version of GNU Classpath. Please check if
    there is a customised version available for the JVM you use before
    trying the bare bones GNU Classpath release. We are working with the
    JVM creators to keep the differences between the core classes as
    small as possible. Please tell us if you make GNU Classpath work
    with a new JVM.

We are very close to a realease now. Yeah!

Cheers,

Mark