Re: I wish to help

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: I wish to help
Date: 04 Nov 2002 18:52:06 -0500

Chris Gray <address@hidden> writes:

> > It remains a possibility that if Acunia's current AWT is dual licensed
> > in the manner Chris described that parts of this work could be
> > integrated as an external library to provide optional functionality in
> > Classpath's AWT.  So inspection of their implementation would be
> > possible but no verbatim copying allowed into _our_ classes.  We could
> > create a separate directory to place their library with an appropriate
> > README indicating this is not part of Classpath and when we compile we
> > could link this library without trouble.  I hope this explains what is
> > meant by external library in reference to FSF projects.
>
> But if that is all you intend to do, isn't the current (BSD) licence good
> enough?

The GPL usually isn't compatible with BSD (advertising clause)
licensed code, however I read our little exception to allow pretty
much anything.  So my answer here is that the current license should
be good enough to allow Classpath to include your peers, but obviously
some work needs to be done to unify all the different peers under one
interface, in fact someone specifically needs to lead that effort or
it won't happen.  If having GTK peers would be useful to you, then
hopefully you'll be able to invest some time in this work too.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>